Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Early morning "peace"

The dogs (specifically Talia) wake my up between 5:00 and 6:00 every single day. Now mind you I don't HAVE to be up until 6:20.  

Most days I let them outside to do their thing (chew on the random cow/deer parts they have collected) and I sit down to soak in the stillness.

I love the quiet, I LIKE being alone. I am not lonely and do not need to be entertained so this early morning stillness doesn't bother me.

I would like to climb up on my high horse and say that during those quiet early mornings I spend time with God. I would like to shout from my ivory tower that in the stillness of those early hours I spend time in the word. Learning, praying, reflecting.     I can't, well I COULD but that would not be true.

Most of those mornings I start a pot of coffee, craving that first sip of the wonderful, hot concoction that stimulates my brain. (my coffee is more like a cup of milk with a splash of coffee but we won't talk about that)  Then instead of picking up my devotional or the Bible I pick up my phone. You guessed it, I check Facebook.
I take a stroll through Facebook park. Just browsing, not really paying attention. Letting the fog in my brain slowly dissipate.

I see funny shares, inspirational quotes, angry rants and help abused animals but mostly it is a blur of pictures and words.

I exit the Facebook world to check the time, I don't feel satiated. I fell like I am on auto pilot.  Switched on cruise control and am coasting on a tank that is so close to empty and not being replenished.

I DO love the quiet of the still, early mornings. I DON'T like being alone anymore, I want to sit with God. Have the word and prayer replenish my tank for the day that awaits.

I want to know that no matter what this day hold for me, I have spent those few precious moments in absolute love and peace.

How do you spend YOUR precious quiet time?

But as for me, I will sing about your power.
Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love.
For you have been my refuge,
A place of safety when I am in distress.
Psalm 59:16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment